Parliament’s Equalities Committee is looking at the issues that specifically affect men’s mental health. They are doing this because statistics continue to show:
- 75 per cent of people who die by suicide are men (this is also the biggest cause of death for men under the age of 50 in England and Wales);
- 13 per cent of men have a mental health conditions;
- Men are more likely to become alcohol dependent than women;
- GP data shows that, for 11-12 per cent of men, the last time they visited their GP was because of continued feelings of stress, pressure or sadness.
Business Disability Forum are responding to this consultation and would like to hear from you have you have any views on the following:
- What are the most pressing issues affecting men’s mental health and how/why does this differ to the wider population?
- How does gender stereotyping in society and the media, parent/fatherhood, relationship and finances affect the mental health of men?
- What should be done (by Government, NHS, local authorities, for example) to improve men’s mental health?
- What are the specific issues related to men’s mental health in the workplace?
How to share your views with us
We understand this topic might potentially be upsetting or difficult for some people who wish to respond. We’d therefore ask you to consider carefully if you would like to respond and, if so, the most comfortable way for you to do so. You can use the following methods to share your thoughts with us:
- Email your thoughts to Angela Matthews (Head of Policy) at email@example.com
- Or email us to arrange a thirty minute phone, IM, Skype, or SignVideo call.
The deadline for contributions is Thursday 31 January 2019.
Privacy and confidentiality
All contributions, both written and non-written, to this inquiry will be kept entirely confidential. Only our Head of Policy (Angela Matthews) has access to the policy email inbox during this inquiry for this purpose. We will not name individuals in our response, and we will only name businesses who contribute if they request us to do so.
If you have any questions, please contact Angela on firstname.lastname@example.org